Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes


So, I know this is a craft/sewing blog, but I couldn't resist sharing this little piece of art that Belle and I created today in honor of St. Patricks Day.

We found the idea for rainbow cucpakes in Family Fun magazine (if you have kids and don't have a subscription, you are really missing out!). I did make one simple adjustment to their version. The directions for the ones I made are below. Make, eat, ENJOY!

Make one box white or yellow cake mix according to package directions.

Divide the batter evenly into 6 small ziplock bags. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the batter into the bags. I put about 3 scoops in each bag.

Add food coloring to each bag to make red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple batters. Seal the bags and SQUISH to combine. (This was my variation, Family Fun suggests using 6 small bowls and stirring...but Belle thought this was way more fun!)

Snip the corner of the purple bag and squeeze a little batter into each cupcake wrapper. Repeat with blue, green, yellow, orange, and red.

Bake according to package directions.

We didn't even need icing on these:) Next time we are planning to squeeze the batters into a bundt pan for a swirly cake creation!

Oh, and one tip...don't let your two year old eat them on the carpet...bad idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment