Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rainbow Dough







IT'S HOT! REALLY REALLY HOT!

And with the heat, comes "caged animal syndrome," that wild-eyed, frizzy-haired, quivering with pent-up energy beast that wreaks havoc on homes across the world. You know...her name's "Belle.":)


We're pretty much a TV-free house (at least when Daddy isn't around), but sometimes we just need a break...from the heat and from each other. So a few days ago, I decided that Belle could watch 30 minutes of tv while Bee was napping. I think I needed the break as much (or more) than she did.


So I started scanning the Pre-school on Demand channels to see what I could find. I came across a show called, "Andy Pandy," from the BBC. Not having any idea what it was, I pushed play and thought I could count on its 24 minute run time to catch my breath.


I must say, the animation didn't look promising and I started to question the sanity-saving abilities of my choice, but I quickly discovered that this program was right up Belle's alley. Apparently, Andy Pandy is the go-to craft-guy in his sleepy little town. All his friends come to him for ideas when they want to make something or are just bored.


I'll be honest...I zoned out and missed the first project, but once I clued in to what was happening I learned how to make bubble prints and got a new recipe for play dough (it's below, just in case you're wondering). Second wind accomplished!


As soon as the show ended we hopped up to make some dough. I was afraid that the recipe wouldn't make enough to do more than a couple of colors, but we managed to get the whole rainbow. And when it was finished, Belle happily played for quite some time.

SANITY SAVED! Thanks Andy Pandy:)


Rainbow Dough Recipe (compliments of Andy Pandy)


2 cups flour

1 cup salt

2 cups water

2 tsp. cream of tartar

2 Tbs. cooking oil

food coloring (we like the gel kind)


Mix all ingredients, EXCEPT food coloring, in a medium-size saucepot. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until dough sets. You'll see a noticeable change in the dough from the bottom up once it starts to set. Continue stirring as long as you can, then flip until completely set.


Remove from heat and divide into balls (don't burn your fingers like me!). Add food coloring to each ball and knead well until you reach your desired color.

Allow to cool before storing, but dough can be stored in air-tight containers for at least several days and I'm guessing a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. See--There are good things to watch on TV. Nana

    ReplyDelete